Saturday, March 20, 2021

Crystal Lane Swift

I’m the Lucky Duck


Memories of you are tainted by what you did to my mother

She was the one always there

Mom and I had . . . have an unbreakable connection

It doesn’t matter how many fights, things we’ll never agree on, frustrations we cause each other

She is home

She is safety

She is Mom

When she wanted to divorce you, it bruised your ego

You couldn’t handle the downsizing to your lifestyle

You hated our mother more than you loved us

So you fought

You won our house, our college funds, “your own time” with us, our dog

who you gave away without letting us say goodbye

At 13, I got to choose not to see you

My sister didn’t fair so well, so now she lives in a world torn between Mom and Dad

A world where she continues abusive relationships to avoid being alone

A world where marriage doesn’t matter

A world where she won’t put down roots in any city

A world without home

And I’m angry and make predictably bad decisions

Mostly with the wrong men

Yet you sent my daughter a Christmas gift

A game

Lucky Ducks

The ducks go round and round quacking

You have to collect all the ducks with a red dots or green diamonds

Evelyn loves it

You expect her to call you grandpa and your wife grandma

I get to choose whether to call at all

Was the fight worth it?

Did you win?

I’m the lucky duck




One Lucky Duck


My sister can push my buttons like no one else

We’ll just be having a pleasant conversation

Then suddenly we’re yelling

No matter how tenuous my point

Once she counters

My heels are buried 


Then there was you

You found buttons 

Even my sister isn’t aware of


We can fight

You and I 

We rage

A fire like I have never known


Then we go off to stew


You come to apologize first


I’m one lucky duck




Christmas Lucky Ducks


I hadn’t heard much from my dad in years

Just a text here and there

Mostly my choice


He always sent strange gifts

Maybe they were only strange because he didn’t really know me

I never really let him


Then one Christmas my dad sent a gift to my daughter

One she plays all the time

Lucky Ducks


No comments:

Post a Comment

Mehtab Mowgli

Spectrum Duck Luck Club I started writing a novel The ducks don’t bleed from my pluma Capturing the duckling kisses Left an indelible impres...